Wednesday 26 October 2011

Chinese Toddler Run Over by Van - The Heart-Breaking Story

I'm sure by now we are all aware of the tragedy of the toddler who was hurt and ignored in a Chinese market, but for those that are not aware, thanks to youtube and social media, here's a little insight on human cruelty and negligence posted on the world wide web that left me with the thought of: what has this world come to?



On October 13, 2011, two year old Yue-Yue of China experienced the most tragic day of her life when she was ran over by a van and left for dead on the side of the street.



Video footage taken off a surveillance camera in the market showed the toddler crossing the market, as well as the van that hit her. The biggest shock came when over a dozen individuals walked by without as much as looking at the toddler or offering help.



Countless minutes later, a woman picks her up and moves her away from all the traffic while she calls for help.



Yue Yue was taken to the hospital and claimed to be in critical condition. Only days later she was pronounced brain dead and was said to be in a deep coma.




This incident has sparked a lot of outrage and hate from the citizens of China as well as international outrage stating the immorality of Chinese citizens; bringing the country in a new light.



The man who ran her over was arrested and is now in jail, but, before his arrest was made, he offered money to the two year old’s father claiming, “…she didn't see where she was going, you know. I was on the phone when it happened, I didn't mean it. When I realized I had knocked her
down, I thought I'd go down to see how she was…Then when I saw that she was already bleeding, I decided to just step on the gas pedal and escape seeingthat nobody was around me.”



Why did no one else stop to help?
Here are some unreasonable reasons I came across:


1. Fear of being blamed
2. Fear of law suit for attempting to help


As westerners we are unaware of the many different wrong doings that are happening in foreign countries and we are astonished when these wrong doings are brought to light, however, even though Yue-Yue’s family was offered "reward" money from the authorities, it really leaves me thinking: Is this money given to the family to prevent a possible lawsuit? Is the city trying to cover up a mistake by paying it off?



Either way, this story has left me speechless and disgusted at the inhumanity of it all. Thoughts?


-Mesila Malltezi

No comments:

Post a Comment