Sunday 28 October 2012

Halloween costumes: Where do you draw the line?


More and more every year, the stress of choosing a Halloween costume seems to get to me worse than the stress of Christmas shopping for multiple relatives and friends.  Should I take the easy route and buy a costume or should I make one from scratch to stay original? But there’s one route that countless females seem to take in preparation for this annual event; the barely-there route.  

The weekends before and after Halloween are hotbeds for costume parties. Thanks to social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, we get the opportunity to relive these parties, as well as see pictures from parties our friends attended. A Halloween gathering never seems complete without one of the following disguises:
Sexy Cop
Hot Referee
Naughty Sailor

           















To quote a saying made popular by the 2004 film Mean Girls: “Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it."


Don’t get me wrong, if you are of an appropriate age where you are able to handle any possible unwanted attention, by all means get these costumes. What bothers me the most is the fact that these costumes are becoming more and more popular with teenage girls.

As someone who just left high school only a few months ago, I've had personal experience with this trend. My senior year specifically, was the first year I saw a lot of my own friends using Halloween as an excuse to wear less, especially to school.  But honestly, how can I blame them? Google searches for teenage Halloween costumes pull up bustier-based garments that could easily be classified as lingerie.
           
Again, this is not my way of passing judgment, it’s just my perspective. To put someone in my mindset, I’d ask them this: If you had a daughter, how comfortable would you be seeing them dressed in this fashion?

1 comment:

  1. Great article Nunzia. Definitely a very relevant topic since when you wrote this, Halloween was just around the corner. If I had a daughter, I would honestly feel very uncomfortable seeing them dress in photos that you illustrated above. However, like you said, it really does depend on the age of individual wearing the costume. Risky, sexy, outrageous costumes definitely comes with a price. Looking at my previous risky Halloween costumes, I can say that perhaps, the attention and sheer judgment from other individuals was not worth it. What are you going to dress up as for Halloween? If you had a daughter, how comfortable would you be seeing them dressed in this fashion?

    ReplyDelete