Thursday 25 October 2012

The perks of reading the book before watching the movie


Perks of Being A wallflower Review

The Book

I love to read books! This summer my friends recommended I read The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephan Chbosky. I was reluctant to read it at first because it looked to be a like a dry read, but my friend insisted and Emma Watson is in it so I decided to give the book a try.







By the time I finished, I was literally in tears. The main character, Charlie, describes the troubles he had going through high school,  starting from the first day. He met two seniors Sam and Patrick and they become friends. My favourite part about the book is the fact that the things that he went through are things that most students encounter in high school; bullying, substance abuse, and if you’re lucky great friends.

Another one of my favourite parts of the book is relationship Charlie has with his English teacher. On his first day his English teacher is the only friend that Charlie makes and throughout the year he continues to give him extra reading assignments books like:

*        This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Charlie's Teacher
*        Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

*        The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

*        A Separate Peace by John Knowles

*        The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

*        On the Road by Jack Kerouac

*        Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs

*        Walden by Henry David Thoreau

*        Hamlet by William Shakespeare

*        The Stranger by Albert Camus

*        The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand


My favorite book from Charlie’s reading list is Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs, which is a little odd since I am a PR student and the book is all about the ‘crap’ the media feeds people, but it was an interesting read.










Sam, Charlie and Patrick
The Movie

I was very pleased with the movie because the storyline didn’t stray too far from the book. There were a couple of things that the movie didn’t cover but the story and the lines were almost exactly the same, which is great because I loved the story the way it was. The actor cast in the movie were fantastic picks! With the exception of Patrick , they appeared on screen just like they appeared in my head.



Logan Lerman played Charlie. He was great at playing the shy, sensitive, but understanding Charlie and I can’t wait to see him in another role soon.




Emma Watson as Sam was stunning as always! I loved being able to hear her talk in an American accent, she was very nice and understanding but still quirky she was great! This is the first film I have seen her in since Harry Potter finished and I think she will continue to do great! She's a phenomenal actress!






Nina Dobrov played Charlie’s sister Candace. I was so excited to see her because she is a character on one of my favourite shows, the Vampire Diaries . She was a great addition; she is amazing in serious roles!






Melanie Lynskey was cast in the role of Charlie’s aunt who was abuse by her husband. I thought this was a funny role for her since she usually plays the crazy woman from Two and a Half Men. And she was a very crazy part of Charlie’s life in the movie. He calls her his favourite Aunt, until he recalls some very important facts about their relationship.



If you have read the book/seen the movie; who is you're favourite character? Mine is Sam, she is so understanding and I was very excited to see Emma Watson in a role so diffrent from Hermione.
I recommend this book and movie for teenagers and older audiences. The story takes place in the early 90's but the messages defiantly still apply today. PLEASE read the books before seeing the movie. The story lines are very similar but there is so much more depth and angst in the book! The movie doesn't show all of the reading Charlie does or show how emotional and diffrent he is from the other students!










Right before the movie came on there was a trailer for the movie of On the Road by Jack Kerouac, on of the books from Charlie's reading list, and Kristen Stewart is in it!! Looks like I'll be going to the movies soon again!



No comments:

Post a Comment