Sunday 11 November 2012

Is “It” really dead? You tell me



Is “It” really dead?  You tell me




As an observer of the 2012 presidential campaign (and president Obama’s presidency) I
couldn’t help but notice America’s divide between the two parties, the democrats and the republicans.   As a young minority myself, I also could not help but to wonder if “It” (racism) would show its face in this year’s presidential election even though  president Obama was re-elected for a second term.  In my humble opinion the resounding answer is YES.



This photo was taken from a home owners property in Texas. As depicted, there is a chair that says the slogan “Nobama” hanging by a noose from a tree on his property.  Not only was I disgusted by this (I’m really not sure if I should be surprised by this happening throughout the southern states), I was extremely saddened that in this day and age, instances like this still continue.  In this day and age a great number of republican supporters still refuse to break their “old school” ways of thinking in regards to tolerance, and acceptance of people who just happen not to be white.




During the course of the past 4 years (and this election), there have been some instances of what some may perceive (myself included) as underlying bigotry. It may not have necessarily have included a picture of the president on a noose such as this one, BUT, why is it that
Donald Trump continues to question the president on his birth records, claiming his “lack of transparency”. ? Would he be questioning the presidents credentials if he was not a visible
minority?  Why is it, that since taking office, the number of death threats have increased 400 per cent, in only his first term as the commander in chief (George W. Bush had approximately 3,000 threats per year during his presidency)? 



The United States may have come a long way from the times of the civil rights movement of the 1960’s. But how far have the really come?  To this day there are still some people that assert that “IT” ( Racism) is long gone, I For one am not one of them. I believe “IT” is alive and well, just in other subtle and not so subtle forms. We may not hear the word “Nigger” thrown around like the old days, but this presidency may very well serve as a perfect example, that America still has a very long way to go. Am I wrong? What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment