Monday 11 November 2013

Eating Right?


Eating right?

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food,” said Hippocrates, father of medicine, 431 B.C.

A bit about me
  
I'm not a vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian or any of those other diet labels. I just eat foods that will nourish my body. I'm a firm believer in eating whole foods and no, that doesnt mean eating everything from Whole Foods. It means eating food from its most natural state. I try to exclude food with:
  •   Dairy
  • Gluten
  • Additives
  • Refined sugar
  • Processed ingredients
  •  Meat (Mostly red meat)  

Eating healthy is all about embracing food that your body loves and recognizes to digest and  strengthen. The list above makes me look like I only eat cucumbers and carrots, but it's amazing what you can do with simple ingredients and turn a typically unhealthy dish, from pizza, cookies and chips into a delicious healthy version.  Who wouldn’t want that?

Where and how to shop

Today I went to Kensington Market, a popular neighbourhood in downtown Toronto. I went for a little grocery haul. I love buying food from the fruit stands because it’s always nice to support small independent stores. The fruits and vegetables sold are organic and local, which makes them fresh and full of nutrients.

Eating organic is always best, but also very expensive. That's why we should all keep handy the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 list when shopping. This list will help with when to splurge or save on organic food. 


Grab a bite

Do you need something healthy, fresh and quick to eat?

 

Located in downtown Toronto, nearby Trinity Bellwoods park, I recommend Feel Good Guru.



            

The most unique thing about this food joint and what separates it from the rest, is that all their dishes are raw. When you cook fresh food, the heat breaks down active enzymes, which are pact with nutrients.





                                                   
Until the next post, eat clean!

Do you agree that fresh is best? Or know of any other places to grab a healthy bite?

Jacqueline

Connect with Jacqueline Bernier

             



https://twitter.com/Jacqueline526               

No comments:

Post a Comment