Wednesday 6 November 2013

My love for Penguins

My love for Penguins

By: Ashley Garcia

Penguins are a group of aquatic, flightless birds who mostly live in the Southern
Hemisphere, especially Antarctica. I personally found my love for penguins at the Biodome in
Montreal, Quebec. I have two favourite types of penguins: the Emperor penguin and the Adelie
penguin.

Another place I love going to is the Toronto zoo. Have any of you been to this zoo? If so,
what’s your favourite exhibit? I bet everyone can guess which is my favourite; obviously the
penguins. This zoo only carries African penguins, but they’re still cute. Another reason I love
penguins is due to the movie Happy Feet; I mean really, who doesn’t adore singing and dancing
penguins?

I don’t know if anyone has ever noticed, but you can rarely tell penguins apart; one could
be male or female, they mostly look alike. Penguins may have lost their flying skills, but they are
definitely the fastest swimming birds, they also dive the deepest. This could be because they
eat pebbles.

That’s another reason why I love penguins; them and their pebbles.

When a male penguin falls in love with a female, he looks across the beach in order to
find the perfect pebble. When he finally finds it, he waddles over to her and places the pebble at
her feet. If she picks the pebble, then she accepts his proposal. How romantic is that?



Here’s a link for fun facts about penguins: http://facts.randomhistory.com/penguin-facts.html


Fast Facts
Type: Emperor penguin
Diet: Carnivore
Average life span in the wild: 15 to 20 years
Weight: Up to 88 lbs


Fast Facts
Type: Adelie penguin
Diet: Carnivore
Average life span in the wild: Up to 20 years
Weight: 8.5 to 12 lbs




My question to you is, what’s your favourite animal and why? Thanks for reading! 
Word count: 316

No comments:

Post a Comment